Monday, October 31, 2011

Superhero Update

4 Weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to be starting The Superhero Workout. Well, I just finished phase 1 on Friday and am ready to start Phase 2 today.

Gotcha, Sucka's.
Well, Phase 1 was pretty cool. It involved things that I had never really done before, in a style that I was unaccustomed to. I performed a lot of exercises with a very slow eccentric portion, and performed supersets of big compound exercises (snatch grip deadlift + bench press = FML). These big time supersets were also very long, going up to 10 sets each. I also performed 2 days of metabolic complexes, which is something that I have done before, but never for a whole month. I would generally perform barbell complexes on a day when I wanted to get some stuff done, but had no other plans. 

The other new thing, for me, was rotating 4 workouts between 3 days. This was pretty cool, as it gave each week a different look. It kept things from getting "boring" (not that I get bored with programs). It is a very cool idea, and I think I will try stuff like that with some of my own clients.

The aspect that I like for some clients is the same thing that I disliked as it pertains to myself. I was, frankly, a little uncomfortable with the fact that twice in this month I went a week with only 1 day of strength training. I understand the purpose; if I did a week with two days of strength training that both involved a 10x3 superset, my body would respond well to a follow-up week with only 1 day of training like that. However, it felt weird. And dirty. And not that in that good way, you know?

The Good Way.
With that being said, I noticed an interesting effect from the first month of training. I gained an inch or two or several while jumping. One of my, personal, gold standard tests for knowing where my body is at (strength, weigh, power:weight ratio) is by simply touching a basketball hoop. They are all 10 feet off the ground, and I always jump with a 3 step approach. (Yes, I understand this doesn't equal a standing vertical, thank you.) While playing volleyball the other night, I randomly took a jump at a rim, intending to grab it with one hand; which is something that has been consistently easy for me for a a long time. While on the way up, I realized how easy it felt, and instead grabbed the rim with two hands. When I landed, one of my buddies asked if I'd always been able to do that. I told him that I've been able to do it, but only off and on. He noted how easy it looked this time, and I agreed. It was pretty easy. 

I was surprised at how easy it felt, mainly because I didn't feel like I got significantly stronger over the last month. The workout that involved the snatch grip deadlift's did not really improve (the weights felt easier, but I never got some comfortable as to increase weights), but the squat workout did. I actually loved the squat workout, for the first time in my life. I felt like I made some good improvements in the weights I moved on that day. 

Finally, here are my before and after pics for month 1. 

Beginning Phase 1

Beginning Phase 2.
Didn't go full body this time. Don't think it matters. Seems like my chest and shoulders are a little fuller. Abs are considering making an appearance. I'm also suddenly noticing a pretty significant asymmetry between my right and left shoulders. In both pictures my left shoulder is hiking and my right shoulder seems relaxed. Interesting.

Have a great day! I'm off to lift some heavy things...as you should be too!


1 comment:

  1. Dogs are of various breeds some are small while others are big and huge therefore considering both the types of dogs
    these sweaters and sweatshirts are available in the market in almost every size.
    Though these sweaters are a bit pricey they are also well made with quality craftsmanship and
    will last a lifetime. Best buys in shirting fabric are non-iron cottons
    or linens.

    Also visit my webpage ... sweater polos

    ReplyDelete