Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Diet changes.

As I've written about before, I don't approach my eating "scientifically". I don't keep track of my grams of protein, percentages of monounsaturated fats or the timing of my carbs. For better or for worse, I don't like eating like that. I use a more holistic, natural view on diet. I eat my carbs early, I have protein at every meal, I try to eat lots of fruit and when I have veggies at dinner I eat an absurd amount.


Random things that I have read recently have lead to me making some changes in the foods I eat. One of the biggest things that I have changed is using full fat dairy products. I buy organic whole milk to use in my coffee and protein shakes and I switched back to real full-fat butter. The taste is so much richer that I use a lot less of it when compared to margarine or olive oil spread. 

The reason? Well, it tastes a lot better. Full fat dairy products aren't whats making you fat. The fat in red meat isn't what is making you fat. Egg yolks are one of the last things you should be worrying about. These are real foods that real people have been eating for a long, long time. I'm trying to make myself enjoy the way sugar tastes in my coffee so that I can switch away from the fake stuff.


Quite blaming stuff that came from a direct source. You can start to point your finger at the sausage egg and cheese breakfast sandwich you got at Dunkin' Donuts. 

"Oh, but it was on a whole grain low calorie flat bread!"

Bah! No food at DD's is "healthy". They have choices that are better than other products they serve, but please do not mistake any of it for being healthy. 

Stop worrying about real food. Cooking a steak isn't eating poorly. Making your own grilled chicken wings isn't bad for you. A potato doesn't equal an order of french fries. White rice isn't a dirty word.

Eat things that come from the earth, and you'll do just fine. Oh yeah, and pick up something heavy!



No comments:

Post a Comment