Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Alpo Experiment

A recent post by renown strength coach and Star Wars fan, Tony Gentilcore, has lit a fire under my ass.


Technically, it lit a fire under my ass to light a fire under someone else's ass. A teammate on the volleyball team with I play with over the summer.

This guy is a tremendous athlete. Jumps through the roof. Hits harder than nearly anyone I know. As a 15 year old was clocked at 70 mph with a baseball. His major downfall? He is nearly 6' tall and weighs a measly 147 lbs. He is one of the few guys on earth who would consider Justin Bieber to have a hypertrophic physique. 

Uh, sweet tattoo, bro. Please put a shirt on.

Needless to say, I've been on his ass for some time now to gain a few pounds. Despite my efforts; he comes back with the same tired excuses. "I just can't gain weight", "I eat and eat and eat", "I'm just a skinny guy". Waaaaaahhhhhhh.

Tony's/Dan John's idea makes sense to me. The plan is to gain 15 pounds by the END of January. If he doesn't do it, he will be eating a can of dog food. If he does, I'm gonna do it. I'm setting him up for success; he is still in college with access to college food/beer, access to a weight room, I've written him proper programming and am available for advice 24/7. I've also made it an extremely public wager; challenging him on his Facebook page. 

My idea for this bet is purely selfish; I want him to make me eat the dog food. I want people to see the challenge and help push him to make me eat it. If he gains 15 pounds, and his relative strength increases along with it, he will be a far superior athlete than he is already. He will jump higher, hit harder and be less susceptible to injury. When he gets better, our team gets better. Simple as that. 

Four and a half months...I'll keep you updated.

In the meantime, I hope he is going to go lift something heavy!!






No comments:

Post a Comment