Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It's go time.

Well, my summer just finished. Every year for 14 years I have participated in the North American Chinese Invitational Volleyball Tournament. We play a different style of volleyball, with 9 guys on each side of the court; this produces a much faster style of play with longer rallies and more explosive scoring. We practice 3 times per week starting in early June, and play 4 tournaments between then and Labor Day weekend. There is a great cultural aspect to the sport, and I love playing every summer.

Not a Nike ad...should be though!
We had a pretty good summer, finishing the National tournament on Labor Day weekend in the top 8 out of 60 teams. The level of competition can be pretty intense, with a handful of teams having players who have played pro in the US and Europe, as well as several D1-level college players. 

Now that the season is over, it's time to get better for next year. First up? Recovery. I usually take 10-14 days off before I start lifting; all of the jumping and landing I do over the summer really stresses my body.  The good news is, I feel pretty good right now. I might just make it a week before I start lifting again, because I really really really miss it. 

After 3 months of playing ball, I'm pretty lean, but have def lost quite a bit of muscle mass. I know my strength levels have gone way down, and I know I've got a lot of work to do before next summer comes back around. Goals include a 405 deadlift and the ability to dunk (either a basketball or a volleyball). Lets get it!!


What are your goals? Start now; if anything is going to stop you, don't let it be the start!

Go lift something heavy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment