Thursday, January 24, 2013

It's About To Go Down

Well, I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to compete in a strength sport.


My buddy Luis and I (and hopefully Dan and Justin) are going to be competing in a push/pull powerlifting meet on February 24 in Revere.

A push/pull meet is different than a standard meet because we won't be competing in the squat; just the bench press and deadlift. This makes the day a little shorter and just a little less taxing on the body. I also feel a little more comfortable doing this for my first event and on such short notice.

I plan on competing in a full meet somewhere down the road, but would prefer to have 8-12 weeks to prepare so that I can put forth my best effort.

I feel good about the deadlift, and hope that I can PR even. My heaviest pull ever was 440, and I nearly pulled 445 a few weeks ago without training the lift very much. I've been really putting all of my attention into Olympic lifting and haven't spent much time deadlifting.

With that being said, I've spent even less time benching and I think it's going to show. My best ever bench was 275 with a pause, and I can't even sniff that right now. My recent training sessions have had me pressing 225-235 pretty easily. If I can sneak out a press of 250 at the meet I'll be very happy with it.

Right now, our training is consisting of 2 bench days and 2 deadlift days each week. One day is max effort and one day is more repetition work. We really just need to get our groove for each lift back, and get used to benching with a pause.

I'll keep you guys updated on training and how the meet goes!

Have a great day, and go lift some heavy shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment