Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Random Thoughts

I'm gonna touch on a few random topics in today's post. I might even just say a lot of words without really talking about much at all. I get to do that, this is my blog!

Nothing to do with anything. Just funny!
The first thing that has been on my mind is how happy I am with my current eating regimen. As of January 2, I will spend a few months on the see-food diet. I see food, and I eat it. My grocery cart on Monday was a thing of beauty: 2 gallons of whole milk, 3 dozen eggs, 4 pounds of beef, cans of tuna, greek yogurt, frozen cherries, and 3 bags of spinach. Beautiful, just beautiful.

I wouldn't say I'm on a bulking program, but during this strength program I want to really give my body what it needs to get stronger. Adding a little size is ok if the appropriate strength gains come along with it.


My training partner, Dan, started a new strength program the same day that I did (Monday). We wrote our programs separately and without really talking to each other about them, and are looking to achieve different goals. We worked out together Monday night and found out the strangest thing: we were both doing front squat workouts, and had programmed basically the same workout.

 We both started off with a speed movement, then did our heavy front squats. Dan chose to do an exercise that I was going to do, but opted out of because I didn't want to overload my CNS too much. We both used a superset of Good mornings with a split squat, except I chose rear-foot elevated split squats (RFESS), and Dan went with Front Foot Elevated split squats (FFESS). We explain this deviation by virtue of who we tend to follow in the industry. Dan is very much a disciple of Coach Poliquin, while I tend to adhere to the tao of Cressey and Gentilcore. The main difference is that Dan stuck to tempo for all of his lifts, while I attacked mine as straight sets and reps.

It'll be interesting to see if the rest of our programs are similar, I think they will be. Two guys who follow pretty different schools of thought ending up with nearly identical programs. Good shit!

Last random note: Tide with Febreeze Sport is the greatest laundry detergent ever. If you're like me and have oodles of gym clothes, you'll appreciate it! It smells sort of like apples and rainbows.


Make 2012 easy on yourself. Don't complicate things.

Eat right, train right, and lift heavy shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment