Friday, November 16, 2012

Every Day And In Every Way...

...I strive to get better and better. I recently wrote a post for Tony Gentilcore about how you can make yourself a better trainer or coach. I'm in no way suggesting that I'm as good as I can be, but I like to think I've done a really good job of utilizing the tips outlined there. This is my list of things that I need to do to continue becoming a better trainer and coach.


Nutrition Certification: As a personal trainer, I need to be very conscious of scope of practice laws; that is, I'm only allowed to do things that are outlined as legal for a trainer to do in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or as outlined by my certification. This often regards things like providing a client with soft-tissue work, prescribing them a rehab protocol for an injury or, the one that irks me the most, talking about nutrition. I understand why it's a bad idea for me to lay a client down and do soft-tissue massage or for me to prescribe a rehab protocol for a hip injury; but I really feel comfortable and confident in my ability to help someone with their nutrition. Unfortunately, I'm limited in my capacity to do that. Obtaining a nutrition certification will allow me to talk with any and all of my clients about what they are eating.

Attend More Seminars: I need to make a conscious effort to start attending more seminars. Charlie Weingroff was recently at Mike Ranfone's place in Connecticut. The Perform Better summit is getting better and better every year, and there's always a location near Boston. I should even be travelling further than that in order to hear people speak. Why is this important? That's how you learn; listen to people who are smarter than you talk about something you're not that good at. Boom, you just got smarter.

Improve my knowledge of functional anatomy: This is not something that will instantly make me a better coach, but it will help in the long run. Improving my knowledge of functional anatomy will make it much easier for me to assess clients. When I notice that their right foot externally rotates but their left doesn't, it will be easier for me to know what is weak, short or inhibited. I'll then be able to provide a more specialized program for that client.

Meet more coaches: Every coach has their own style and their own cues. If I only ever hear myself coach, then I'll never pick up anything new. The more I can be around different trainers and coaches, the more tips and tricks I can pick up. Todd Bumgardner may have a cue to get someone to retract their scaps during a pullup than I do, and Ben Bruno may have an easier way to teach someone a Bulgarian split squat. I don't need to adopt anyone else's style, just learn a tip or trick here or there.


This is by no means a comprehensive or definitive list of what I need to do; that list is going to grow every time I learn something else. This is just what I think I could do now to become better. 

Have a great day, and go lift something heavy!

No comments:

Post a Comment