Wednesday, May 16, 2012

It's Your Choice.

So it's been a few (several) days since my last post, which is ok since I was in the middle of final exams at school. Everything went well, and now I'm on to my summer schedule which means a lot of working. Huzzah!!


Today's post comes as a result of basically everybody I see around me, all the time. We face hundreds of choices every day; some are super important, and some are basically inconsequential. Regardless, we still face these choices. The thing is, all of these choices compound together to decide how your day, week, month or year goes. What is an apparently minuscule choice can snowball and create big changes.

Think about how each choice affects you and the people around you. If you can spend a day making more good choices than poor choices, you will have had a great day. Some people, too, spend so much time making big choices, that they let the small ones get away from them. "I'm so busy and stressed out because of work that I'll just get pizza for dinner"...7 nights a week.

Guess what? Everyone's work stresses them out; that's why it's called work and not enjoyment. Start early in the morning. As soon as your alarm goes off, you have a choice to make. Should you stay in bed for an extra 15 minutes, or should you get up to make your coffee and breakfast? One choice allows you an extra 20 minutes of "sleep" and the other makes sure that you are caffeinated, well fed and ready to start your day. If you choose the former over the latter, what might happen? You may end up rushing to get ready, standing in line at Dunkin Donuts to get a shitty breakfast that costs more than it's worth, missing your train and getting to work late. Great way to start your day, huh? Not only are you late for work, but you wasted a bunch of calories on garbage food that serves no purpose in your body. There's nothing nutritionally sound about a Dunk's breakfast sandwich. After you ate that shit for breakfast, what's the chances you're going to have a good clean eating day? Pretty slim.


Think about how your choices will affect the people you have to deal with every day. As a trainer, I have sessions that start at 6 a.m. four days per week, which means that I get to the gym by about 5:40. I have to get up around 4:45-5 so that I have time to walk my dog and shower and stuff. If I choose to go out and have some drinks the night before, and don't get to bed until 1:30, then what happens? I'm grumpy in the morning and my co-workers won't want to be around me. I'll be sluggish and tired and my clients will get a sub-par training session. I'll be too tired later in the day to have my own workout, and I'll probably be looking to put crap food in my body all day. So, I make the choice to not go out, and to try and be in bed by 10:30 or 11 every night. Why? Because I care about my professional life as much as (if not more than) my personal life. If my co-workes and clients think I'm a lazy dick, I wouldn't be able to afford a personal life anyway.

Make your small choices into big ones. Try and understand the consequences of your choices. Finishing off your kids meal? Not something you need to do. Throw it away, or pack it up and bring it home for them to eat the next day. Go to happy hour with your co-workers three times a week, or go to the gym and do your squats and deadlifts? I'm not saying to not enjoy yourself, but do you really need to go out on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights, plus your normal Friday, Saturday nights? I think not.


Take just a second to think about each of your choices today. Think about the outcome of each choice and decide if that is really want you need to do to achieve your daily goals. If it's not going to help, then don't do it. Make a better choice. Remember, the better choice isn't always the easy choice (it's usually not). Making that hard choice is what will set you apart, though.

Be awesome. Go lift something heavy!

No comments:

Post a Comment