Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Future

In the last year or so, I've tried to make it a point to meet new people within this industry. Making connections is always a good thing, and knowing some of the top-tier coaches right now is definitely a good idea.  Every time I meet these guys, it's an opportunity to discuss really deep, important questions and theories.


While meeting the current crop of top-tier coaches is a great idea, I've found that something that will prove even more useful is meeting the guys in my peer group right now. When I go to attend a seminar or something similar, I'm surrounding myself with my peer group. Whether or not these guys are my age is a different question!

Meeting the other guys who are up-and-coming coaches is great for me. It gives me an opportunity to measure what I can do, what I know and what I need to know. I'm all about discovering my weaknesses, so the last one is of the utmost importance to me. What does this guy know that I don't? What has he read that I haven't?

Greg Robins is a guy that is here in my own backyard. He recently worked at Total Performance Sports in Everett, MA (which is routinely voted as one of the best gyms in America. I'd seen Greg around at some local seminars and talks, but finally introduced myself the last time I was up at TPS. I'd read his blog a handful of times already and was familiar with his work, but then he dropped the jealousy bomb on me: Cressey Performance had, for the first time, taken applications to be a coach there and he is the one who got that coveted spot! While I was thrilled for him (nice to have a local guy get the job), I was also extremely jealous. Nothing like a little jealousy to motivate someone, right?

Greg is a really smart guy (strong too), and I wish him the best of luck at CP. Tony and Eric wouldn't have hired him if he wasn't going to do a great job!


I recently met Joe Meglio at a seminar at John Gagliones' place on Long Island; where everyones last name ends in a vowel.  Joe works at a great gym with a great guy; he works for Zach Evan-Esh at the Underground Strength Gym in New Jersey. What does Joe have that I don't? Hands-on experience with high level athletes in a dedicated strength and conditioning facility. The importance of the quantity of time he has had in a S&C facility like Zachs' place can't be underestimated. While I'm sure we know the same ways to get someone strong, he has had more time and access to the right tools to get the job done. On top of that, he has daily access to a bright mind in this industry, something I still haven't had.

The last guy I'm going to mention here is the outlier. Justin Rabinowitz is another future industry leader I met at the Supreme Strength seminar, and he's the only guy here who's background isn't directly S&C. Justin is a student at New York Chiropractic College and writes a great blog. He does a great job of getting himself to seminars all over the Northeast and has made some great connections. Chiropractics is not a modality that I necessarily put a lot of faith into, but I'm pretty sure that Justin will become the kind of Chiropractor that I would be happy to send my clients to in the future. I got a chance to talk to him at dinner, and it sounds like he has learned so much more than just doing spinal adjustments. He's well versed in soft tissue work (ART, Graston technique, etc), and seems to be learning some of the pro's and con's of the different taping techniques. I can totally see this guy making some noise in the industry regarding injury care and prevention in the future, along the lines of a Kelly Starret or even Eric Cressey. Look for big things from this guy.

This list is by no means comprehensive; but these are guys who have taken the step of putting their thoughts and ideas down in a blog format (like yours truly). There are a lot of smart guys I've met recently who still haven't picked up on this idea yet (get on it, boys). The next crop of strength coaches is going to be a good one, keep your expectations high for us.


Go lift something heavy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment