Friday, March 18, 2011

I'm buying whatever Nike is selling.

I think this is the greatest advertisement in the history of the universe.




Besides my obvious attraction to these ads (the text, duh!) I think they actually send a really good message. In todays day and age, where the media places so much attention on how THIN Jennifer Anniston got, or how few calories Gwyneth Paltrow eats because Tracy Anderson tells her kale soup is the key to enlightenment, it is nice to see someone push the "strong, muscular, sexy woman" angle at us.

(On a separate note, did you know that despite working out with Tracy Anderson constantly, Gwyneth Paltrow has developed osteopenia, the precursor to osteoporosis? Good to hear that "no weight training" thing is working out for you guys. A strength and conditioning professional's first rule should be "do not hurt your client", what is the first rule for a woman who doesn't believe in any conventional strength doctrines?)

And, I'm off of it.


Women spend so much time reading these popular magazines, that they think that guys want to see supermodels everywhere we go. On the contrary, nobody likes the tall, thin, anemic look. That's not what's really hot in the streets right now; the athletic look is in. Compare the two following ladies:







Personally, I think its a no-brainer. I love that a huge company like Nike is pushing this new image; maybe women will start to get the hint soon. Lifting weights will NOT make you enormous; unless you have hidden testicles. It will take some time, but I think it won't be too long before the message starts to get across that heavy lifting for women is beneficial. It makes good things happen. With popular trainers like Tony Gentilcore, Bret Contreras, Nick Tumminello and Nia Shanks espousing the benefits, the training style for women will surely start to change. The big turn will be when magazines like Shape and Oxygen start talking about it too! (Womens Health already does!)

I'm gonna leave you with two pictures that I came across a few weeks back that does the perfect job of getting my point across.

Go lift something heavy!





No comments:

Post a Comment