Monday, March 5, 2012

Planning

Yeah, I took a few days off from blogging. I had no muse; nothing was inspiring me. I realized what I wanted to write about just this morning as I was getting ready to start my day. 


One of my classes this semester is called "Practicum in Adult Fitness". What it comes down to, is allowing the students in my concentration (Fitness Instruction and Management) to actually get some experience training someone. One of the things I think my program is missing is more hands on classes, so this is great. Another reason it is great is because I've been training people for almost three years at this point, so I'm fairly confident that I'll be successful with this course. I had to mentally get over the little hump of doing something for free that I normally get paid for; but whatever. It's part of the class and there is nothing that I can do about it. I met my client, a faculty member, last week and we set up our times to meet. Turns out the time that works best for her is 8 a.m. on Monday and Wednesday. No big deal, I do morning sessions all the time. The thing that sucks, though, is that I don't have class until 1, sometimes 2 in the afternoon. So I end up stuck at school for 4-5 hours with nothing to do. Yes, I know that I can use this time to do homework (Who are you, my Mom?)  but to be honest, there just really isn't that much homework for me to do this semester. I can fill the time pretty easily; work out, reading blogs, writing blogs, hell I can even bring my headphones and watch some Netflix. But the real killer for me is food.


Now, I don't necessarily buy into the "eat every 2 hours" idea; but the fact is that I get hungry about every 2-3 hours. I'm a big man, I have a big hunger. "So go to the cafeteria and stop whining" you are probably saying. Well, if I go to the cafeteria to eat, that means I have to eat the dogshit that they serve. Not that it tastes bad, but it's just garbage food. Even if I do choose the best options there, it's going to cost me fifteen bucks to put a reasonable amount of food into my body. That's just not kosher with me. So, I have to pack food. I bring a nice little cooler with me and leave it in the car. Last week I tried bringing a meal that I would have to go heat up, and that didn't work well. That's a pain in the ass. So today I brought all stuff that I can eat cold. I had coffee on the way to my session, and then right afterwards I had a second coffee, with a big thing of greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and frozen cherries with an apple. My second "meal" will be a protein shake (made with whole milk), a package of cashews/almonds/dried cranberries and a Larabar. Not ideal, but certainly not bad. All in all, it's a little higher in carbs than I would prefer, and a little low in protein. My biggest source of protein, until I get home, is my protein shake (coming in at about 50 grams). I should have hardboiled some eggs last night, but I got lazy. I'll have to do that tonight or tomorrow so that I can have some of those Wednesday morning when I come in for my session. All in all, it's really not a big deal. I have to change my eating habits for a few weeks, but it bugs me. I get very set in my routines. God forbid I don't get to eat my 6 scrambled eggs and bacon. 

Thanks for listening to me rant. Go be awesome today, do something you're proud of. Lift some heavy shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment