Monday, April 28, 2014

Biases

So last week I was doing some of my normal weekly reading, and one of Tony's posts really hit home with me about something. 


Tony talks about how he's changed his view on things over the years that he's been training and coaching, but how he still leans towards doing things the certain way that they see fit at CP. He has grown and matured to the point where he understands why/how certain things can be applicable for certain people, but doesn't necessarily feel the need to use those things in his training on a routine basis.

This got me thinking...being biased as a strength coach is actually a really good thing. There are a hundred and one different ways to train someone in todays fitness landscape. Bodybuilding, strength, crossfit, yoga, zumba, P90x, circuit training, strongman, functional training, weightlifting, the list goes on and on.

With all of these training options nowadays, it is very easy to get confused and overwhelmed. It's not uncommon to see a trainer in a commercial gym who's business card says that they have a training certification, and certs for TRX/Boxing/Pilates/Kegels/Jazzercise/Bosu/Shake Weight. A trainer like this sort of falls under the old adage of "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything".

It's correct to say that everyone can be useful and appropriate at some point for some client. Who knows, maybe someday you come across a client who is only motivated to work with a shake weight; it's your job to help them get results with that (however little those results might be). This is where being biased about something is actually a good thing.


You see, the coach or trainer that you're working with should ideally be educated about these things. I myself have been training for 6 years, while going to school and studying exercise and health science. I've gone to a number of seminars and read countless articles, papers and books on all topics relating to strength and conditioning. All of this formal and informal education has lead to me to do this thing called "thinking for myself". I train and program the way that I do because my education has taught me that it's the best. I think it's the best way to get someone happy, healthy, fit and strong. I don't think that any of the other numerous ways of getting "results" are wrong necessarily, I just don't think they are the best. I look at as many things as I can with a mind that is half open and half closed; I know that the way that I train is what I consider the best, but maybe sometimes other things can be applicable and folded into my own system. You can't ever count something out completely until you know everything there is to know about it.

If you can get results with your clients training some other way, then that is all that really matters. But, to me, a trainer who tells you that every style or program is great just doesn't know anything. That is a trainer who is struggling to make a sale and just wants you to be happy. A trainer or coach that is worth going to will have a particular style and they will make you understand why it's the best. Just a little food for thought.

Have a great day, and go lift some heavy shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment