Tuesday, July 23, 2013

But What Supplements Should I Be Taking??

This is one of the most often asked questions that I, and many other trainers and coaches, are hit with. This phrase is most commonly paired with "what should I be eating?" and "will these squats make me bulky?"


The guys at Examine.com have been helping trainers answer this question for a while now; they've done an amazing job compiling research based data on hundreds of common (and not-so-common) supplements. Their website allows you to search by common supps, stacks, provides nutrition info and has references to back up all of the data provided.

Doesn't suck, huh? It's a great way to cut out all the bullshit Bro-Science about what's good for you and what isn't. The Human Performance Matrix they developed actually shows you whether the supplement in question has a positive or negative effect in various categories; no longer do we have to assure people that creatine is, in fact, NOT an anabolic steroid.


For the average Joey BagOfDoughnuts this site can, admittedly, be a lot to ingest. If you don't know what you're looking for it's pretty easy to get lost in the oodles of information available (certainly a good problem to have). Luckily Sol and Kurtis have come out with a handy dandy guide that will clear everything right up. For fitness professionals and coaches, it's an easy reference guide for when you have a client/athlete that needs some reassurance that FISH OIL WON'T FUCKING CAUSE PROSTATE CANCER....sorry, that was dramatic. The best thing about the guide is that it does a great job linking the supplements and their health goals, which is something that is often overlooked.

Just so you know that I don't put my word behind things that suck, I was recently contacted by a rep from the BeachBody Brand, the producers of fitness masterpieces like P90X, Insanity, Brazil Butt Lift, and Insanity: Asylum. She asked if I would be interested in writing a blog post promoting their products...which means unequivocally that she (nor anyone from her company) has ever actually read my stuff because I fucking hate P90X and all the other shit that's like it. Sol, on the other hand, reached out to me via Facebook a few months back after reading a post I wrote for Tony Gentilcore that he really liked. Imagine that, somebody making an industry connection because they appreciated each others work, not just because their blog was categorized under "fitness". So, no, I don't promote stuff that I don't believe in.


The guide is pretty cheap as far as e-books go ($29) and survive for a long time as a reference manual that you can go back to check on repeatedly. Other than slipping me a copy of the guide, I'm benefiting in no way from you purchasing this thing; other than the fact that there will be more well-educated trainers and coaches giving out information.

If this sounds like something you are interested in...and it should...then GO HERE to purchase this and help support some guys who've been working their butts off to get us all some top-notch information.

Have a great day, and go lift some heavy shit!

1 comment:

  1. I found the website examine.com to be extremely useful for researching nutritional fact on supplments. Thanks Michael!

    -Qui Trinh

    ReplyDelete