Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Food For Thought

As I go through dietary consults with my clients and friends, it's often asked of me what I eat. Because of my physical condition and my profession, it seems that everyone assumes that I spend all day eating chicken breasts, salads and whole wheat bread. Well, I'm here to clear up that misconception.


Here, I will outline what a pretty average day of eating looks like for me, from morning to night. Keep in mind that this diet isn't meant for everybody; it works for me and my goals. My goals, by the way, are to be a girthy savage with a low bodyfat percentage who is mobile, agile and hostile.

Morning: Wake up at 4:45. Have a swig of fish oil and a glass of water. By 6 a.m. I will have a cup of coffee with just cream in it.

First Meal: The time on this varies; I follow a loose Intermittent Fasting plan that works well with my work schedule. I usually eat for the first time between 9 and 11 a.m. - a normal meal for me is 6 eggs, a few strips of bacon or some chicken sausages and sometimes a handful of blueberries.

Second Meal: This is usually more of a snack; this is the meal I eat just before my workout and I don't personally like having a big belly full of food. I will have some full-fat greek yogurt from Trader Joe's with blueberries or a few spoonfuls of some nut-butter (peanut or almond, usually). I will also have either a Finibar or a Larabar. Also, some fish oil.

Workout Nutrition: At the beginning of my workout I will have some Con-Cret Creatine and as my workout is winding down, I will sip on some Gluta-Tren.

Post-Workout: Immediately post-workout, I consume a shake of Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Protein mixed with some whole milk and a scoop of Biotest Creatine when I remember it. My post-workout meal is always high in carbs and protein, and low-to-medium in fat. My recent favorite post-workout meal is Trader Joe's gluten-free waffles with peanut butter and honey on top and some chicken sausages. This is a meal I eat right before I have more clients, at which point I often have another coffee with just cream. I will also usually have 12 oz of watermelon, pineapple or cantaloupe and a swig of fish oil.

Pre-Practice: At 8 p.m. a few nights a week I leave work and go to volleyball practice. On my way, I will usually have a snack of some trail mix (almonds, cashews and dried cranberries) and a Larabar or Finibar. This helps me put more quick-digesting carbs into my body when I'm going to need them. Sometimes I have the Con-Cret and Gluta-Tren, some days I dont.

Post-Practice: I eat this meal around 11:15 at night. Easily my favorite meal of the day. I get home, and load up a bowl with beef or chicken, white rice, some bacon, a bunch of guacamole and some salsa. I will often accompany this meal with a Vitamin Water or some Gatorade and a swig of fish oil.


It's a lot of food. If I eat a meal and I'm still hungry...I eat more. If I'm stuffed (rare) then I don't. I enjoy all the food that I eat, and never feel like I'm on a diet. If I wasn't doing two-a-days so often (training and practice) then I would cut back on some of the carbs, but right now this is what I need to do to keep myself going. I'm able to maintain a bodyweight of 200 pounds with a lot of extra physical activity.

Does this look like the meal plan of someone on a diet? Hardly. Bacon, guac, rice, beef, eggs. That's good shit. Try something similar and let me know how it goes. Remember: Girthless is Worthless! Eat like an adult, and go lift something heavy!

EDIT: I'd also like to take a second to mention that today is the last day (for the time being) that I'll be working with my buddy Dan. Over the last year I've worked, trained and eaten with this guy 5-6 days a week. We grew into being really good friends and really great training partners. Dan is going to be the Training Director at the new CrossFit Resilience out in Hopkinton, MA. Dan influenced the intensity with which I attack my training quite a bit over the last year, and I'm glad to have him in my rolodex now. Best of luck to you, bud!

No comments:

Post a Comment