Monday, February 13, 2012

Win Every Play

I recently read something (I actually can't find the source) where Jim Wendler talked about his days playing college football. He said that one of the best pieces of advice he could provide his team with was to forget about winning the game, but to focus on winning each play. If you win each play, the culmination of the efforts will result in a win. Makes total sense, right?



This is something I found that I can apply to my life. I know what my goals in life are, but no matter what I do I can't speed up the process that will get me there. Each day will add up to a week, each week to a month, and each month to a year. I need to focus on winning each day, week and month. If I can gather up more wins in that time frame than losses, I'll have had a successful year.

What "wins" am I referring to? Anything, it doesn't matter. Each day is filled with dozens of little challenges. If I choose to make a healthy breakfast instead of going to Dunks, that's a win. If I can ingest my 200+ grams of protein in a day, that's a win. Every day with a workout is a win. Avoiding people who raise my stress level and spending time with people who make me happy are both wins. Choosing to do something that will make someone else's life a little bit better, that's a huge win.



I can't constantly worry about all of my big-picture / long-term stuff. There is not one single thing I can do right now that will make any of those things happen, some stuff is just out of my control. I can't do something today that will guarantee me the career that I want, the love that I want or the life that I want. I have to take each day as it comes and trust that everything I do will work towards a better future for myself.

What will you do today to start setting yourself up for the big win?

No comments:

Post a Comment