Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Allow myself to introduce...myself...

I am an Exercise and Health Science (concentration Fitness Instruction and Management) student at UMass Boston; and I love it. We have a very strong program, and it continues to get better. I have had a few professors that have had a pretty big impact on my education, and some classes that were amazing. One class in particular allowed me to meet and interact with several great minds in the strength and conditioning world; Eric Cressey and Tony Gentilcore, Mike Boyle, John Sullivan and Carl Valle to name a few. Getting to meet people with different methods of training opened my mind to the fact that there were so many different ways to achieve goals with clients.

It was not too long after meeting EC that I started to read more on websites and blogs. I ventured to EC's site, which lead me to Tony Gentilecore, which lead me to several others, including T-Nation. This particular website contains HUNDREDS of free training articles, written by nationally recognized strength coaches, that really formed my method of training.

What i do is nothing groundbreaking; I'm not reinventing the wheel here, folks. I try to gather as much information from all these coaches that I can, and use it with my own clients whenever applicable. This is the biggest problem with training in a commercial gym setting; my thoughts are the exception, not the rule. The majority of the people that come to my gym have been doing the same thing for months, if not years. Chest day consists of 8 different presses. Triceps day includes 6 sets of 5 exercises for each set of the triceps. We can't forget about abs day! Of course you need to do 13 different types of crunches, even though your bodyfat is at 37%! It is frustrating walking around this facility and seeing people doing things that are not only useless, but counter-productive! I do what I can, but one man in one facility can only change so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment